Temperatures are rising which means flowy sun dresses, shoulder baring tops, frequent pedicure appointments and oily skin. Yes, the warmer temps ensue not-so-kind sweat breakouts which lead to that hideous oily shine that some of us experience in the T-Zone area or all over. What can you do to prevent this unslightly look? Follow these five EASY tips to beat back the oil!
1. Switch to a lighter, oil-free moisturizer. It’s that easy! The need for additional moisture (i.e. a heavy/thicker moisturizer) isn’t needed during warm months. A few of my favorites include: Oil Control SPF 15 by Bobbi Brown, Daily Deflector Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 by Kate Somerville (my new favorite, it makes my skin GLOW!) and Repair Oil-Free Day Lotion SPF 15 by Laura Mercier. I’ve used them all and love them!
2. Keep Your Hands Off Of Your Face. I have a hard time following this rule because I’m always doing the face palm or just touching my face. But think about it; your hands touch your keyboard, doorknob, desk, pens, pencils, hair, cell phone, steering wheel… So many different people, places and things and then you go and touch your face, putting who knows what on it. Just STOP it!
3. Exfoliate. If you read my My Skincare Routine post then you know that I’m a firm believer in exfoliating at least twice a week. It sloughs away that dead skin, unclogging pores (clogged pores = increased oil production).
4. Get To Blotting. Blot your heart out with blotting paper. What is blotting paper? They’re among the best oil banishers in the world! I’m not sure who invented those little pieces of paper, but they are a genius. Thank you oil-fighting-blotting-paper-genius-creator, you’re the BEST! Just take a few of those small pieces of paper and blot your face (in a stylish, discreet manner of course) off! You can see the oil on the paper. Kind of gross when you see all of the oil, but you’ll be happy you did it. The Boscia blotting linens are my favorite ones.
5. Scale Back On The Foundation. I confess, I don’t use foundation, so this tip came from my Laura Mercier girl. She says that foundation melts into your pores during warmer months which, as I stated previously, produces oil. She recommended using a tinted moisturizer (a lot lighter than foundation but still provides coverage) or a mineral powder foundation (sucks up excess oil).
Do you have any oily skin remedies? Share them.